The thing we talked about in class that really hit it home for me was Disney. You know the mouse and the Princess and that is just part of their brand. The Disney brand is that dreams come true, family fun, and fairy tales. The mouse and the princesses are just decoration.
I still don't know what the brand of this blog is and I think that's OK. It was never my intention to monetize this or make it anything other than a place to write what pops into my head and maybe connect with other bloggers that are cool. It has done just that. I feel like I come here and write to my friends. Beyond that I am just a mom who has a love of glitter, saving animals and uses fuck as a comma in everyday conversation.
I really want my Etsy shop to be more, especially since my job is ending and I am pretty uncertain of what will happen after that. I have an idea that I am kinda excited about. I will need about 800 for the class and I would like to have the cushion of the shop in case what I find doesn't have the same level of pay. So I am trying to do it right. I have read so much stuff on small businesses my head is spinning. Don't worry I will tell you all about my idea and the class needed to do that job once I have more details on what all is required.
I want my shop to be as varied as I am. When you visit my shop I want you to get a sense of who I am. One thing the teacher kept asking us was, who am I selling to? Well I don't know. I enjoy doing lots of creative things and don't think I'd be happy just making Crazy Cat Lady shirts, I have ADD and would quickly burn out on that. So what can I do? I can make nearly anything out of vinyl, glitter, some wood stuff. Is varied the way to go or should I just focus on one type of thing? Also I have a total fear of rejection so I struggle with promotion. Even though I have people contacting me to make them stuff I just worry.
Here are some of the things I've made.
A cute glitter cup with my blog name.
I can do any sticker and any color. These are great for laptops and car windows.
I made these for the girls to wear to the opening of Star Wars
I learned how to do glitter on mugs. Can you have enough glitter?
Monograms are pretty popular here. Abbey hates them though.
A glitter straw mason jar. I could add any wording and tons of glitter options
More monogram stickers.
This was a mommy and son set. Mommy is expecting, I love the little pumpkin with feet inside.
These can say literally anything. In case you can't tell its a bottle opener for the wall.
Here is the link to my Etsy shop. If you have time could you visit it and then answer some of the questions I have below.
Abbey designed the logo.
1. What do you think about the name? I changed the name of the blog about 4 times until I landed on Cat Hair and Glitter which is sooo me. I wanted to use that for the Etsy shop but Abbey said she wouldn't want to buy something from a shop named Cat Hair. So I chose A&E Production after the girls. But I second guess myself on that all the time, and Etsy only lets you change your name twice so I need to be super sure.
2. Looking at the shop what would you change? Add? Take Away? What is your first impression?
3. What kinds of thing do you purchase from Etsy?
4. What are some ways businesses market themselves that you think may work for me? I sponsored my own podcast last week and that let to several views.
5. Making the glitter ornaments is lots of fun, what are some things you'd like to see on them? I've tried to do some mock ups of things but I just don't know what people want. Also, I think I have over priced these. When I look on Etsy its within the price range of others, I just feel it may be too much. What do you think?
6. Would Blogging related things go over well, like shirts etc?
7. I have made an instagram account for the shop It would make me super happy if you could follow it. a.and.e.production. So far that's it but if I end up changing the shop name that will change as well.
8. What do you think of Black Friday Sales/Cyber Monday? Does that make a difference in your purchasing decision and if it does what kind of discount are you looking for Percent off or free shipping?
Thanks so much for reading all of this lengthy post and if you decide to answer a question or all of them I appreciate that a lot. I just really want to do this right, and I am way out of my element.